Club History

A Committee was formed to oversee the laying out of a green in 1929 and the official opening of the bowling green in the St. Stephen Recreation Ground took place in May 1931.  The Club affiliated to the Cornwall County Bowling Association in 1932.

Several club members have played in the Middleton Cup squad including Melville Julian who played 52 times. Roger Grose served on the County Executive Committee for many years. 

In 1943 and 1944 a group of 12/13 year olds were encouraged to play on a Saturday evening for 6d each on an end rink but without instructions.  

In 1976 a Ladies Section was formed and was  affiliated to the Cornwall County Women’s Bowling Association.  

Members of both the Men’s and Ladies Sections have had many successes in qualifying for the National Championships and winning many County Competitions over the years.  In 2018 Andrew Broad won the National Champion of Champions and in 2021 Simon Allen and Andrew Broad won the County Benevolent Pairs.

The Club has provided 3 County Presidents – Doreen Bilkey in 2001 followed by her daughter Christine in 2009 and John Harding in 2020/21.

The Club facilities were refurbished in 2015 with an extension being built to the Pavilion to provide new changing rooms and toilets which was funded by Sport England and SITA.

The Club has held National/County Competitions and League Finals over many years.   The Club has also run very successful tournaments the latest of which is an Open Triples Tournament originally held in July each year however it was held in April 2022 and was so successful that further Tournaments were held in April 2023 and 2024.  

The Club holds Open Sessions each year to give anyone who wishes to try bowls the opportunity to come along and a warm welcome is extended to anyone visiting our Club.